In 2001, the American Lighthouse Foundation, in partnership with the United States Coast Guard, restored the light tower, the boat ramp, and the wooden walkway on the island. This allowed for a light to again be installed in the tower, which had been dark since 1975.
The first lighthouse at Little River was built in 1847. Both the tower and the keeper’s house which were attached were built of granite and stone. It was a near twin to the Prospect Harbor Point Lighthouse.
|The Boat House|
|The Oil House|
|Jack and Tobi Graham, Caretakers|
In 1939 the United States Lighthouse Service was abolished and its duties were merged into the Coast Guard. Willie W. Corbett who served at other Maine lighthouses, Served here from 1921 to 1939. He had the distinction of being the last keeper of the United States Lighthouse Service to be at the Little River Lighthouse, officially ending the era of family lighthouse keeping in Cutler.
In the fall of 1998 Maine Historic Preservation declared the Little River Lighthouse Station as one of the Ten Most Endangered Historic Properties in the state.
|Panoramic View From Light Tower (Click to Enlarge)|